Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Sound of Silence


I think that people who do not have children have no idea what happens all day in a house with a child and I am sure those childless people who are reading this right now are saying "No, we don't and we do not want to know." I also have said since having Ryan " I have a new found respect for any person who has more than one child."


Its funny, its like telling a person not judge until they walked a day in someone elses shoes, I have learned through motherhood how true that is. I remember being pregnant and on 14 weeks of bedrest which at the time I thought was pure hell, people kept saying to me "get all your rest now" and I thought they were a little nuts. Now I would trade my paycheck for a day of bedrest.


Ryan (an I am sure every other 3 1/2 year old) is wildfire. From the second he wakes in the morning he goes and goes. He does not stop talking for a second and of course you must fully acknowledge everything he is saying or hear "Right, mommy" over and over. I have also learned with Ryan that if he does not have some downtime during the day he is so tired that he actually sleeps worse at night. Ryan has always been a world class sleeper (just like mom) he slept through the night at 10 weeks old and really never had bad nighttime stages but my lord he needs naps.


And THAT is the latest challenge. He is at the age (he will be 4 in Feb) where napping means that you are missing something, so let me fight and fight sleeping until going to bed at night. Then we are in a crying meltdown just getting our pj's on, because he is so overtired. So we enforce "quiet time" which means he must go upstairs into his room and play in bed for approximately an hour to a hour and a half hoping that in that time he falls asleep. At one time he always fell asleep but these days it is not very common, and of course if we are busy we just miss it all together.


Today he is sleeping! He did not sleep well last night because he was so overtired from a super busy day and then he was up at 6:00 am to go to the bathroom and he never went back to sleep. I was praying for a nap today dreading the breakdowns later without one. Sometimes mom just needs a break


Oh the sound of silence...

No comments:

Post a Comment